How To Set Up Your Own Blog–Step by Step
Setting up a blog from scratch can be daunting, so to make it easier, we’ve put together a set of instructions to guide you through the process step by step.
If you’re looking for a hosting company, we recommend hosting your site with Bluehost mainly because they make it so easy to install WordPress. They’ve recently partnered with MOJO Marketplace to make this process a breeze! Plus, they offer 24/7 technical support and use custom build servers, which provide the most stable hosting environment possible.
So in the rest of this post, we’ll concentrate on how to setup your site with Bluehost and explain how to register a domain, complete the signup, and install WordPress, all in just a few shorts steps.
Instructions on Setting Up a Blog:
- To get started, visit Bluehost.com/Wordpress and click “Get Started Now”.
If you would like more information about their services, this page is also jam-packed with information plus offers live chat for any other questions you may have.
- Once you’re on the signup page, select the plan that best suits your needs.
Bluehost knows that every business has different needs, so they offer various packages to fit any size business all at very affordable rates. Best of all, every package includes free setup and a free domain hosted by Bluehost.
- Next, if you don’t yet have a domain, you’ll create your new domain name. Bluehost will automatically check to see if your desired domain is available.If you already have a domain, you can enter it on this page as well.
- Once you have setup a new domain or entered your existing domain, enter your account details. During this step, you’ll be asked to provide your business information (name, address) and payment information, and you’ll also be given the opportunity to enroll in additional account features for things such as enhanced security and SEO courses. None of the extra features are required to set up an account, but they can be found helpful for some clients. So they’re definitely worth a peek.
- Lastly, you’ll be asked to setup the password for your account, and after that, your account will be created.Now let’s take a look at how to setup your WordPress site on Bluehost’s servers.
How to Install WordPress on a Bluehost Server
After your account is setup, Bluehost will send you an email containing a link to log into your account. If you already had an existing domain, you’ll need to update the name service on that domain to point to Bluehost’s servers. You’ll find instructions on how to do that in the welcome email they send you.
For now, we’ll assume you set up a new domain though, so let’s dive in to find out how to install WordPress on Bluehost.
- Once you’re logged into Bluehost, you’ll be directed to the Control Panel. Navigate to the section called “MOJO Marketplace” and choose the icon One-Click Installs.
- You’ll then be directed to the Scripts and Platforms page. Simply click the WordPress icon to open an installation window.
- Once the installation window is open, select the domain you want to install WordPress on which can be on any domain on your Bluehost account, or it can be a subdomain or folder for one of your hosted domains. After that, click Check Domain. This process makes sure the domain is assigned and pointing to your account correctly. Note: You may get a warning that you are overwriting files. If you don’t have another website with this domain built yet, you can check the box and continue. If you have an existing site on this domain already, you will want to make sure you’re not overwriting something important.
- After confirming your domain, click the checkbox to “Show Advanced Options”. In this section, you can setup the username and password for your WordPress installation. Be sure to choose a unique username and strong password for security purposes.Unless you have a database that you have already setup and want to use, you’ll need to check the box to “Automatically Create a new database for this installation”.Then, click the checkbox saying you’ve read the Terms and Conditions, and click Install Now!
- Once WordPress is finished installing, you’ll receive your website URL, the admin login URL, your username, and password. Be sure to save this information in a safe place for future reference.
Next click the login URL, and enter your username and password to log into the dashboard of your new WordPress site–the dashboard is where you control everything about your site. Here you can create pages, write new blog posts and customize the design of your WordPress site.If you would like to see these steps in actions, check out this video from Bluehost “How to Install in 1 click with Bluehost and MOJO Marketplace“.
I hope these instructions help you in setting up your own WordPress site. And if you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
Tomorrow I’ll show you how you can customize the theme for your WordPress site, so stay tuned…