Canva is incredibly popular thanks to a huge selection of pre-designed templates and simple graphic design tools that make it easy for anyone to take a DIY approach to design. However, it’s not the only option out there if you’re looking for a web-based design program.
Here, we’ll cover the best Canva alternatives that can be used by hobbyists or professionals. Like Canva, many of them offer both free and paid versions.
The Best Canva Alternatives
If you’re looking for a tool that makes it fast and easy to create beautiful images and graphics, Snappa is an excellent choice. The interface is user-friendly and the tools are intuitive, so even new users can jump in with virtually no learning curve. The ease of use is one of the most significant factors that separates Snappa from other Canva alternatives.
Snappa offers an impressive selection of thousands of templates for just about any type of image you’ll need. You can easily change the images, text, and colors to suit your needs, or make additional customizations.
You can also create designs from scratch, and the presets will get you started with the appropriate dimensions. There are presets for all of the major social media platforms, display ads, infographics, blog images, and more.
- Thousands of pre-made templates to choose from.
- Presets with the right dimensions for social media, ads, emails, infographics, and more.
- Access to more than 5 million free high-resolution stock photos to use in your designs.
- Customize a template or your own design with vector graphics, icons, and a large selection of fonts.
- One-click image background removal.
- Easily resize your images for different purposes.
- Share your images and graphics on social media right from the Snappa dashboard.
- Edit photos with a selection of filters and other tools.
- Choose from hundreds of speech bubbles to add text to your images.
Snappa offers a free plan that supports a single user, includes more than 6,000 templates, and provides access to 5,000,000+ free photos. The free account is limited to 3 downloads per month.
Paid plans start at just $10 per month if paid yearly, or $15 per month if paid monthly. All of the paid plans include unlimited downloads, include social media integrations, and also include the background remover.
Visme is another Canva alternative that has a lot to offer. In addition to social media graphics and blog images, Visme makes it easy to create things like printables (flyers, posters, menus, business cards, etc.), mockups, charts and graphs, and videos.
Because Visme has so much to offer, it’s not quite as beginner-friendly as Snappa. While you certainly don’t need to be a professional designer to use Visme, the learning curve is a little steeper since there are more tools and options.
- Thousands of templates for social media images, presentations, charts and graphs, mockups, and more.
- Powerful graphic design tools that make it possible for anyone to create beautiful images.
- Branded templates make it easy to create a consistent look and feel for a variety of different images quickly.
- AI-based Brand Wizard will grab fonts and colors from your website to create the branded templates.
- Share, embed, or download your designs.
Visme offers a free plan with up to 100 MB of storage. Free users also get access to templates and design assets, however, the access is limited. Another restriction of the free account is that you can only download in JPG format.
Paid plans start at $15 per month if paid yearly, or $25 per month if paid monthly. All paid plans come with full access to templates and design assets, plus 24/7 customer support.
VistaCreate may be a new name to you. It was formerly known as Crello but the name has been changed to VistaCreate after it was acquired by VistaPrint.
If you’ve used Canva, you’ll probably feel at home with VistaCreate because the user interface is fairly similar.
In addition to graphic design tools and thousands of templates to choose from, VistaCreate also provides basic features for photo editing like cropping, resizing, blurring, flipping, rotating, and adding filters.
VistaCreate includes a few features that are helpful for creating a consistent brand image. You can create a brand kit with your logo, fonts, and colors, and then easily access them as you’re working (this is similar to a feature of Canva Pro).
- Thousands of templates to choose from.
- Select from a wide variety of design formats like Instagram Stories, YouTube thumbnails, posters, flyers, business cards, and more.
- Get access to creative assets like photos, videos, and vectors.
- Apply designer-selected combinations of fonts and colors to your designs.
- Add decorative elements like frames and speech bubbles.
- Remove the background of any image in seconds.
- Style your photos with a variety of filters.
VistaCreate offers an excellent free plan that provides access to more than 50,000 design templates and 1 million creative assets. You can create one brand kit with your logos, fonts, and colors. The free account also comes with 10 GB of storage for your files and documents.
A Pro plan is available for $10 per month if paid yearly, or $13 per month if paid monthly. With this plan, you’ll get access to more than 50 million creative assets (compared to 1 million with the free plan). You’ll also get unlimited storage and the ability to create unlimited brand kits.
Easil is an alternative to Canva that offers simple drag-and-drop graphic design tools, as well as thousands of beautiful templates that you can customize.
You’ll love the clean design of Easil, both in terms of the app’s interface and the templates that are available. Everything is really well designed.
One of the unique features of Easil is the GIF Maker. This tool makes it easy to animate text, graphics, and photos in creative ways.
- Thousands of beautiful templates to choose from.
- Drag-and-drop design tools that are easy to use.
- Text effects like drop shadows, glow, blur, etc.
- Text masking tool for effects like metallic or glitter text.
- Create animated GIFs to make your images stand out.
- Resize a template or your images for social media or print design in seconds.
- Color palette generator automatically chooses colors based on the images in your design.
- Easily remove photo backgrounds.
- Extensive team and sharing features.
- Create brand kits with your logo, fonts, and colors.
Like Canva, Easil offers a limited free plan (they call it the Basic plan) as well as several different premium plans. The free plan gives you access to 2,500+ templates and more than 1 million stock images.
Paid plans start at $6.25 per month if paid yearly, or $7.50 per month if paid monthly. With a paid plan, you’ll get access to 10,000 – 20,000 professionally-designed templates (depending on the plan you choose). You’ll also get credits for the background remover and the ability to download your files in various formats.
BeFunky is a creative platform that includes graphic design tools as well as photo editing. While some of the Canva alternatives listed above include photo editing features, they’re all fairly basic. BeFunky’s photo editing tools are far more robust and allow you to retouch portraits and even batch edit to save time. The AI image enhancer will improve your photos with no effort on your part.
You’ll love BeFunky’s features for turning your photos into works or art, cartoons, and more. It’s these types of features that make BeFunky very unique.
Aside from the photo editing features, BeFunky also offers some basic graphic design tools and templates you can use as starting points for your designs. It’s better suited for images that will be used online (like social media images or blog images), while some of the other options covered above are better for designs that will be printed.
- Basic graphic design tools and templates for quickly creating images.
- Collage Maker for creating shareable collages of your photos.
- Collage Wizard for automatically creating collages.
- Extensive photo editing tools for portrait touch ups, background removals, and more.
- Huge collection of photo effects that can be applied with a single click.
- AI photo enhancer will instantly improve images.
BeFunky offers a free plan, but it’s one of the most limited plans of the tools covered in this article. You’ll get access to some basic photo editing and design tools, but the majority of features require a paid subscription.
Pricing for BeFunky Plus is $4.99 per month if billed annually, or $9.99 per month if billed monthly. With BeFunky Plus, you get access to all of the features, plus priority customer service.
PicMonkey, owned by Shutterstock, includes a combination of graphic design and photo editing features. Like BeFunky, PicMonkey also offers an impressive combination of design and photo editing features.
As a design tool, you can use PicMonkey to create social media images, presentations, flyers, and much more. There are thousands of pre-designed templates that are great for speeding up your workflow.
The photo editing tools go beyond the simple cropping and resizing options that you’ll get with some Canva alternatives. PicMonkey includes tools for touch ups, background removal, changing colors, applying filters, and more.
- Thousands of templates for social media images, banner ads, business cards, and more.
- Access to the stock image library from Shutterstock.
- Access to 9,000+ vector graphics.
- Create a brand kit with your logo, fonts, and colors for easy access.
- Collage maker with dozens of layouts to choose from.
- Powerful photo editing tools like the color changer.
- One-click background removal for photos.
Unlike most of the tools covered here, PicMonkey does not offer a free plan. However, all of the paid plans come with a 7-day free trial so you can give it a test run before paying. You won’t be able to download your creations until you upgrade to a paid plan.
Plans start at $6 per month if billed annually, or $7.99 per month if billed monthly. This Basic plan doesn’t include all of the features like the background remover, brand kits, stock photo library, and others.
Pixlr offers two different tools: Pixlr X (a graphic design tool) and Pixlr E (a photo editor). We’re focusing on Pixlr X here since it is the most comparable to Canva and the other tools on this list.
Although Pixlr X is a graphic design tool, it also provides some photo editing capabilities. You can do basic things like create collages and create quick and playful photo edits.
You’ll also get templates for things like YouTube banners, Instragram Stories, brochures, presentations, and more. One of the unique features is the ability to animate any design with easy presets or customized settings.
Pixlr X Highlights
- Basic photo editing tools for fast and fun effects.
- Selection of photo filters.
- Create collages.
- Selection of pre-designed templates for various types of images.
- Animate any design.
Pixlr X Pring
Pixlr offers free versions of both Pixlr X and Pixlr E. The free versions offer limited tools and are supported by ads. The paid versions start at $4.90 per month if paid yearly, or $7.99 per month if paid monthly (for access to both Pixlr X and Pixlr E). Another plan ($14.99 per month if paid yearly or $24.99 per month if paid monthly) provides access to a bigger selection of templates and creative assets.
Glorify stands out because it’s a Canva alternative specifically made for e-commerce businesses. You can use it to create banners, advertisements, social media posts, product thumbnails and more from the template of your choice. Since the templates have been designed with e-commerce in mind, you can drop in an image of your product and have a professional-looking graphic in no time.
There are thousands of templates available, and you can also use Glorify’s design tools to customize the templates or create your own design.
You’ll love the mockup creator that allows you to showcase products in a beautiful and realistic way. There are mockups for devices, packages, apparel, stationery, and more.
- Created specifically for e-commerce business.
- Huge selection of templates for ads, social media posts, and product thumbnails.
- Collection of 3D mockup templates.
- Access to a library of photos, illustrations, icons, and models.
- Brand kit allows you to apply your branding with one click.
- Background remover for photos.
Glorify offers a free plan with 10 credits for background removal and 10 stock photos per month. On the free plan, you can manage five projects and have five downloads per month.
Paid plans start at $29.99 per month if paid yearly and $39.99 per month if paid monthly. This plan offers 100 background removals and 100 stock photos per month, plus unlimited projects and downloads.
Final Thoughts on Canva Alternatives
While Canva is an extremely popular graphic design tool, you might be surprised by how many viable Canva alternatives are available. All of the tools we covered in this list will help you to create beautiful designs quickly, but each has some unique features and characteristics. Whether you’re creating a social media post, blog image, or e-commerce product image, there are options available. Consider your own situation and the features that are most important for you, and you’re sure to find a tool that meets your needs.